The Subcontracting and Partnership Exchange (SPX) was developed by the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) over 20 years ago to boost local production and match specialised subcontractors with large companies to help promote their international presence.
It has since evolved into a global network including the highly successful partnership between Dubai Exports and the Gulf Organisation for Industrial Consulting (GOIC), which began their own SPX operation in 2008.
Main-contractors (Usually larger industries)
- Manufacturers with a large inventory of parts and components or mass production
Subcontractors (Usually smaller industries)
- Companies specialised in a certain processes or operations
- Companies which supply custom-made quality goods
- Companies which offer economic advantage
Industrial Partnership (Usually between larger industries and smaller industries)
- Long-term relationship
- Stable subcontracting relationship
- Based on subcontractor's specialisation and technological expertise
- Sharing of responsibilities between industrial partners
- Not necessarily a joint venture